21 September 2011

Glowing Green Smoothies aka How I Gave up Diet Coke

{I am a total caffeine addict.  Well, now I can say that I USED to be completely hooked on caffeine.  I would always have a couple cups of coffee in the morning and a Diet Coke in the afternoon (sometimes two if I was stressed).  And I can't even begin to think how many I consumed while I was in college.  So, I know you are totes wondering - Molls, how did you do it?!?!

One of my besties, Lauren, became a vegetarian last year, and now is a vegan.  Check out her blog about this journey, and don't worry, she is not a crazy person pushing her living style on you, she just discusses her eating and beauty habits.  So... Lauren tweeted about Kim Synder, a clinical nutritionist who caters to celebs and fabulous people.  (Which by the way, Kim retweeted me the other day.  I almost died.  Now, back to the point).  I went to Kim's website and found a clip of her Today Show appearance.  She made Glowing Green Smoothies, her signature drink.  This smoothie contains fruits and vegetables.  Yes, veggies.  When I first saw it, I thought, "This lady is crazy, that looks like the sickest drink ever".  

 

But, Hoda claimed that it actually tasted like fruit.  So, a few weeks ago I thought, what the heck, I'll try it.  So, I added spinach leaves to my fruit smoothie...and... my life was changed.

I have not followed Kim's smoothie recipe to a tee, but I usually include a banana, splash of orange juice, blueberries and/or strawberries and/or apples, ice, and a heaping amount of spinach lettuce.


 
I promise, you can't even taste the green veggies.  You just taste the fruit.  Now, it is not going to be as sweet as an Angel Food from Smoothie King and the color really is green, but I swear, it tastes great.  So, I started making these for breakfast three weeks ago, and I am not turning back.  I have given up my morning coffee (I have splurged on a Pumpkin Spice Latte, but can you really blame me?) and my daily Diet Cokes!  Now, the DC effort has been a little harder, but I made a conscious decision (and was also scared by Kim's thoughts on Cokes) that these drinks are doing nothing for my health, even if they are zero calories.  So, three weeks later, I am proud to say that I have not consumed a Diet Coke.  Now, don't let me fool you... about a week ago, I pulled one out of the fridge and thought "One won't hurt".  Well, I could not even take three sips of it, my body was not used to all the chemicals and caffeine. It is now used to getting energy through fresh produce.  It looks like my addiction has been cured.  Not to mention, I feel fabulous and lighter. 

If you are just looking to get some healthy tips into your life, check out Kim's Blog.  Now, I am just learning from her tips and don't live and die by them, but she really has good thoughts about eating and living healthy.  Plus... her body is to die for, so she must be doing something right.  Now... I just wish that it was easier to give up chocolate.  Have you given up caffeine?  How did you do it?}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...