20 June 2011

Sarah's Key

{This summer I have challenged myself to stop eating chocolate.  JOKE!  Did you even read my last post?  No, no, I have challenged myself to read more.  I have already read four books, and I recently just finished Sarah's KeySarah's Key was given to me by my friend Kate after she convinced me it was a great fictional story of history and modern day linked together by a secret.  She was right.  This book follows Julia Jarmond, a journalist living in Paris, as she writes about the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Vélodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz.  Through her assignment, Julia is connected to the past through a young girl named Sarah Starzynski, the only member of the Starzynski to survive.  If you like history, suspense, and character development, you need to read this book.  The book does have some heavy subject matter, but the author, Tatiana de Rosnay, is a very talented writer and keeps you hanging on after each chapter to see what will happen next.  After finishing this book yesterday, I have started to read the conclusion to the Shopaholic series, Mini-Shopaholic.  It is light, hilarious, and makes me feel better about my shopping habits.  But before I digress...

 
...I was  delighted to see that a movie based on the book was made and will be released this summer in the US.   What are some books you are reading this summer?}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...